Why a Google +1 From an Influencer is So Valuable

 For quite some time I have theorized that a Google +1 was much more valuable than a Facebook Like or a Twitter Retweet. Today is the start of that theory becoming fact. Google Plus announced the social product is going to start suggesting posts that have been +1′d by your friends. Unlike Facebook and Twitter, users have the option to turn this off. I would guess that most people will not turn it off as they want to find the best content on the Internet. This means those with a large following will be able to influence a larger group of people. Take this trip with me. Having a Google Plus Following of 100,000 vs 5,000 I hate to be the numbers guy but this is a scenario where the numbers do matter. 

If a Google Plus user has 5,000 followers they can influence up to 5,000 with a +1. If I share a post and one of my followers with a following of 5,000 decides to give it a +1 there is an opportunity to have a reach of 5,000. On the flip side of that equation let us say that I have 100,000 followers. If my friend that has 5,000 shares a post and I decide to +1 that content there is an opportunity for up to 100,000 people to see that post. Vic Gundotra has always said that the early adopters are going to benefit greatly from the updates we see with the Google social layer. I can honestly say that I did not see this one coming. I never even thought about the influence of a single +1. I am extremely happy that I cleaned out my circles in November of 2012 and followed only the best of the best on Google Plus. I am very selective with my +1s and that will remain true moving forward. Rather than just going down a stream and +1ing everything you see it is important to recognize that your following will see what you have +1′d. Most of us want to share the best content on the web. There is no reason to share something that would not be of interest to your following. Take the time to clean up your circles and follow only those that create amazing content for the web. It is not hard to do this as most people know who shares good stuff and who shares fluff. The Google +1 Gets Even More Powerful When building relationships on Google Plus I would never suggest only moving forward with those that have a large following. In fact, some of my strongest relationships have been built before that individual “got big”. That said, I think you can make an honest assessment about a user within a few interactions with said individual. I enjoy nothing more than seeing a new Google Plus user gain a large following because they share amazing content. I have taken a few under my wing and helped them grow at an accelerated pace. The new Google +1 recommendation means that your social network just became exponentially bigger. The more +1s you get per post the more viral it can be. If you get +1s from influencers and amazing content creators you could see true virality. This is something to keep in mind when deciding to share to Google Plus. I think we are going to see another wave of writers and content creators join Google Plus because they have a better opportunity to build readership. Those who have been on Google Plus for quite some time will enjoy the benefits that are being baked into this social layer. Well done Google, well done. 

- See more at: http://www.wojdylofinance.com/why-a-google-1-from-an-influencer-is-so-valuable/#sthash.2ccY76Ug.dpuf